Temple B'nai Abraham
a Reconstructionist Synagague
The Reconstructionist Jewish Congregation in Bordentown, NJ
Records of the Jewish community in Bordentown date back beyond the 1830’s, when local Jews played an important part in the town’s history. Moses Wolf, a Jewish tailor and clothing store owner, was elected mayor in 1874 and served through 1877.
As the Jewish Community grew and became more active, a group of energetic residents formed the “Bordentown Hebrew Association” in 1917. Their stated intent was “to hold and maintain services for the worship of God and the promotion of good fellowship according to the tenets of the Hebrew faith.” It also gave its corporation the power to build a synagogue and Hebrew school.
In July of 1918, the Bordentown Hebrew Association purchased our temple – the double house at 58-60 Crosswicks Street. By that same fall, the residence was converted to a Shul, and High Holy Day services were conducted there for the first time. In December, 1918, the “Bordentown Hebrew Women’s Association” was formed to serve as an auxiliary to the men’s group. A Hebrew scholar from Jerusalem was hired in 1921 to serve as resident spiritual leader and Hebrew teacher.
Today, the tradition continues at this same location with our temple serving as synagogue, sanctuary, community center, Hebrew school, and in some cases, the Rabbi’s residence.